Gluten-Free Orange Cranberry Scones

It has been some time since my last post and I humbly apologize.  I took some time off for a pre-summer holiday and didn't get much baking done at all.  Though I enjoyed the relaxation I did miss feeding my baking addiction.  To get things kick-started I wanted to dive back in with a gluten-free treat truly loved by many - the scone.

I have tried many GF scones before and none have lived up to the hype. They were either too dense, too dry or had some kind of funky aftertaste.  After much searching I found a recipe online that seemed promising and gave it a whirl.  I am very pleased with the baking results and can safely say these are scones that are not just "edible" but downright delicious.  My son who won't touch dried fruit scarfed down 2 of these while still warm, dried cranberries and all !

These scones are flaky, filled with rich dairy, just sweet enough, flavored with orange zest and studded with cranberries.  Heaven with a cup of coffee or tea.  Perfect with jam or butter.  They are the best GF scones I have ever eaten.

So if you are ready, let's get baking!

RECIPE:
*adapted source recipe  The Best Gluten-Free Scone Recipe from Gluten-Free Gourmand

WHAT YOU NEED

2 cups gluten-free flour blend ( I used C4C but Bob's Red Mill will work well too)
1/4 cup granulated sugar (I used blonde palm sugar)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon xantham gum if not already added to your GF flour blend
6 tablespoons cold butter, diced

1 large egg
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
zest of one orange (medium size)
1/2 cup dried cranberries (opt for ones sweetened with apple juice)


MAKE IT

PREHEAT oven to 425F
LINE a cookie sheet with parchment paper

IN LARGE BOWL, whisk together first 5 ingredients and xantham gum if using
USING A FORK, cut butter into dried ingredients until pea-size consistency
IN MEDIUM BOWL, whisk together all remaining ingredients
USING A FORK,  gently mix wet ingredients into dry until combined. Do not overmix
PLACE dough onto prepared cookie sheet and pat into a circle about 1inch high
CUT into triangles
BAKE for 12-15 minutes or until edges are slightly browned and toothpick inserted into scone comes out clean
REMOVE from oven and place sheet  onto cooling rack.  Let cool to room temperature
SCONES will easily pull apart where cut prior to baking

ENJOY!


2 comments:

  1. I just baked a batch of these beauties last night, and you're right - they're absolutely heaven with a cup of tea (I had the tea, himself had the coffee). And I agree with you about scones - I've tried a lot of recipes that had the scones tasting delicious, yes, but sometimes way too dense. Thanks for sharing this recipe - definitely a keeper and one that I'll be going back to many more times, especially as it's summertime which makes it perfect for a summer treat (or even for brekkie). Have a lovely, yummy weekend (I know I will, thanks to this recipe).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Linda @ Lemon Drop