Gluten-Free Baked Donuts

I was searching for a baked donut recipe that could easily be converted to gluten-free. I didn't want to mess with yeast or an array of GF flours either.  I wanted it simple, tasty and easy to prepare.

Persistence paid off because I located a recipe that fit all of my criteria without any gluten-free changes required. It was already done for me and was such a simple recipe that I couldn't wait to test it out.  Testing was a huge success! I now have a new favorite donut recipe that I will make again and again.

These donuts are incredible.  The batter comes together in your food processor.  No premixing of ingredients either.  Just add everything together and blend away til smooth.  Then divide the batter up in your donut pan and bake for 12 minutes.

The original recipe called for a date based topping. I wanted to stick with the tried and true cinnamon sugar coating that is a childhood fave for me.  Just dip the warm donuts in some melted butter and then dip again a cinnamon/sugar mix.

These donuts, in my opinion, taste better than their flour based contenders. They are super moist and fluffy, have that enticing flavor of sweet nutmeg and really shine with the added cinnamon spice.  These will also stay for a few days in a sealed container without any concerns. Their moisture and flavor will simply intensify and that, my friends, is a good thing!

So let's get baking!

RECIPE:
*adapted source recipe: Grain-Free Cinnamon Roll Donuts, Texanerin Baking

WHAT YOU NEED

DONUTS
145 grams almond flour (approx 1 1/4 cups)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 eggs
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

CINNAMON/SUGAR TOPPING
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

MAKE IT

PREHEAT oven to 350F
GREASE a donut pan (6 regular sized donuts) with cooking spray
IN FOOD PROCESSOR, combine all DONUT ingredients until smooth
DIVIDE batter into prepared donut pan
BAKE 12 minutes
REMOVE from oven and let donuts cool in pan for 10 minutes
RUN  a knife around edges of donuts and then remove gently from pan

TOPPING
POUR butter into a flat bottomed bowl
COMBINE SUGAR and cinnamon in another flat bottomed bowl
DIP warm donuts in butter then in cinnamon/sugar mixture

ENJOY !


16 comments:

  1. What a fabulous recipe, these donuts look amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My weakness...doughnuts! And, I wouldn't change a thing about them; they look yummy and perfect for my morning constitution with Diet Coke and a crossword puzzle:-) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. That these are baked is wonderful, that they are gluten free and moist and tasty is perfect. Good for you for finding this recipe and making such a great treat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew it! I shouldn't have not take those beautiful donut pans I saw in the baking aisle yesterday. Definitely going back to get them. There is no way I can let this recipe pass without trying. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Cow! You just combined all my favorite things! I am in trouble because I MUST make these now. Thanks for this fantastic idea!

    http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJune 21, 2012

    These look amazing!
    What was the date based topping for the original? I'm curious to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin at Texanerin Baking has the date topping recipe :)

      http://www.texanerin.com/2012/05/grain-free-cinnamon-roll-donuts.html

      Delete
  7. I'm so happy that you liked them! I actually thought about these the other day and wondered if anyone had tried them and if they just hadn't said anything because they didn't like them. I thought that they were amazing! Gluten free or not. Your donuts look awesome. Plump and fluffy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic recipe, Erin! thanks so much for sharing :)

      Delete
  8. They look so beautiful! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love them! These are so easy and have a wonderful texture. No one would have an idea they are gluten free . I'll be hanging on to this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made it today for my GF daughter, she love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just made these for my children. I don't feel bad about them eating these because of the good ingredients. I DID roll them in cinnamon sugar, but I don't think it's any worse than them eating cinnamon sugar toast. But the ingredients in these donuts are much better than the ingredients in bread. Thank you so much for this recipe! I will make it again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made these doughnuts and they were amazing. I used a coffee grinder to make my almonds into a flour consistency and I used Rapunzel Organic Whole Cane Sugar and they still turned out great. This is definitely a winning recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was wondering if these could be cutout with a donut cutter and baked on a sheet pan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if memory serves, the dough is too soft to be rolled and cut into shapes. You will need to use a donut pan.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!

Linda @ Lemon Drop