Red Velvet Cake with White Chocolate Frosting

As the holiday season fast approaches, what better way to get into the spirit then with a red and white cake and that to me means RED VELVET! Well if you are gluten-intolerant you too can now indulge this Christmas. This cake is gluten and egg free but best of all, tastes incredible. I frosted it with my own creation - a simple white chocolate buttercream that paired so well with this smooth, luxurious cake.

I know I have gone on and on about my love of Cybele Pascal and her amazing recipes so I won't go into it again other than to see Cybele's recipe for Red Velvet Cake ROCKS! A wonderful texture flavored with cocoa and colored with simple red food coloring. You will need to make up a batch of her gluten-free flour blend but don't be intimidated. It is easy to do and the unused portion keeps well in the refrigerator; just pour it into a ziploc bag, seal and place in the fridge. If you prefer, you can order the GF Classical Blend from Authentic Foods which saves you the mixing of 3 different flours. My order from the Gluten-Free Supermarket is current en-route to me so I went with the manual blending of the 3 flours. Easy-peasy and so worth it once you have a bite of this cake.


If you don't own this book yet then I think it should be
at the top of your Christmas list!


As always, I cannot emphasize the use of top quality products enough here. For the batter, ensure you use Authentic Foods Rice Flour because other brands simply don't cut it. For the cocoa, the richer the better. I always use Cocoa Barry Extra Brute and I highly advise you do the same. For the frosting, stick with the best white chocolate you can find. Callebaut is my personal favorite.

So let's get baking!

RECIPE:

I will not re-post Cybele Pascal's cake recipe here as it is readily available on her site. Simply follow this link : Red Velvet Cake

Note: I did not use her recipe for frosting. My recipe is shown below.

WHAT YOU NEED

FROSTING

1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
6 cups powdered sugar
4 oz melted white chocolate (melt over double-boiler and set aside to cool)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2-3 tablespoons whipping cream

MAKE IT

IN BOWL OF STAND MIXER, fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter for 1 minute on MED speed
SLOWLY add in powdered sugar and blend on MED speed for 2-3 minutes
ADD white chocolate, vanilla and 2 tbsps of cream.
BEAT on high speed 5 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
ADD extra tbsp of cream if you find your icing too stiff

ENJOY !


Also linked here:


7 comments:

  1. I just did Red Velvet cupcakes this weekend for a friend's daughter's birthday--I love the idea of the white chocolate for the frosting. I used a Swiss buttercream instead of the usual cream cheese. Great recipe! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake looks absolutely beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is really comforting for me because I'm just getting used to baking with gluten free flowers and dealing with other food intolerances. It's lovely to know I can still create yummy cakes. I've tried out one chocolate recipe with succes (my recent post) but I've never tried red velvet cake. Looks like a good time to, as you say, with Christmas coming up.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious!

    Stopping by from Something Swanky's Sweet Treat Thursdays!
    Willa
    www.armstrongfamilyfare.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word.. Look at that cake.. Its to die for..

    -Brooke
    blushboutiquestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know where to start-- the gorgeous red color or the white chocolate frosting!! They both look and sound amazing!! Two thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Linda @ Lemon Drop