Old-Fashioned Cherry Clafloutis

As always, I was thrilled to see the new edition of the Food Network Magazine arrive in the mail the other day.  It was jam-packed with goodies and an abundance of recipes that I couldn't wait to start testing out in my kitchen.  But when I stumbled upon their section featuring cherries I put all other thoughts aside and zero'd in on an amazing yet simple recipe for Old-Fashioned Cherry Clafloutis.


Cherries are over-flowing right now in our local grocery store and I had a bag on hand that would be perfect for this recipe.  So with my fave gadget in hand,  my cherry-pitter, I got at it.

Note to self and others: never wear anything white (or remotely expensive) while pitting cherries unless you intend to use it to toss it afterwards.  Cherries stain worse than beets if you ask me and that juice can spray in all directions when using a cherry pitter.  Pitters beware!

The recipe comes together very easily once the cherries are pitted.  It is a lovely custard blend with some added citrus for depth of flavor and a bit of flour for binding it all up into what results in a quiche-like texture.  Once baked, let it sit at least 20 minutes before slicing and store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days (it won't last that long!).


RECIPE:
*Adapted- Old-Fashioned Cherry Clafloutis, Food Network

3 CUPS pitted cherries
1 1/2 CUPS half-and-half cream
4 LARGE eggs
1/2 CUP all purpose flour
1/2 CUP sugar
1/2 TEASPOON grated lemon zest
1/2 TEASPOON grated orange zest
1/4 TEASPOON salt
COARSE SUGAR for topping

MAKE IT

SPRAY a 9" pie plate with cooking spray
PREHEAT oven to 375F

COVER based of prepared pie plate with cherries
IN LARGE BOWL, whisk together all remaining ingredients except coarse sugar
POUR over cherries
BAKE 45 MINUTES
REMOVE from oven, sprinkle with coarse sugar and BROIL for 1-3 minutes or until sugar starts to change to a golden color and berries are bubbling
REMOVE and place on cooling rack
LET cool for 20 minutes before slicing

ENJOY !


6 comments:

  1. Hi Linda - I LOVE clafloutis (anything custardy for that matter) but cherries, while plentiful here, are always extremely expensive. I might just have to splurge and try a cherry one. I usually make them with peaches and blueberries. It's a great last minute dessert in the winter too when I always have peach slices and blueberries frozen. J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the idea of peaches and/or blueberries. YUM!

      Delete
  2. Sorry that an outfit got ruined during the making of this beautiful clafoutis. All of my aprons are the bib kind. I need to cover as much as possible when I cook or bake :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great recipe! I am sure to buy more cherries this weekend at the farmer's market to make this! It's a simple, but elegant dessert to serve. Happy 4th, dear friend. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE clafoutis! Most folks don't have a clue what they are and how wonderful they can be. Thanks for keeping me inspired with all your recipes and amazing flavors. Simple elegance!! :) In honor of you, I'm passing on the Versatile Blogger award to you! Here's the post that explains it to everyone, http://www.bakeitwithbooze.com/2012/07/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Linda @ Lemon Drop