Maple Sugar Liège Waffles

I am having a lot of "first" baking experiences lately and this is one of them. I had read about Liège waffles for quite some time but finding pearl sugar here in Canada is like spotting Santa sliding down the chimney. It just doesn't happen. Then I found a recipe online that stated you could substitute with maple flakes and that I do have !

These are not a quick thing to make. There are 2 rising stages with the dough, each one lasting 1/2 hr. But never rush a good thing. These prove there is truth in that saying.

The consistency reminds me of a sweet roll. There are little tiny pockets of melted sugar within the bread-like finished product. The outer crust is crispy and sweet. I can safely say, I adore these. I had 1 1/2 to myself and was beyond stuffed yet seemed to continually catch myself tearing off a bit more here and there. I felt so "European" eating these and as if I was indulging in a guilty pleasure; no surprise given the amount of butter in these beauties. Serve them plain, dusted with icing sugar, drizzled with syrup or topped with a smear of good jam. Entirely up to you!


Now let's get started because you need to make these - NOW


RECIPE*:
* Source recipe which I have altered can be found here Eat My Cake Now

WHAT YOU NEED


3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk, heated to 100F
2 tablespoons instant yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
the scraping of one vanilla bean
1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
2/3 cup maple flakes


MAKE IT

IN MEDIUM BOWL, whisk together milk, yeast and sugar. Allow to sit 5-10 minutes
IN LARGE BOWL, whisk together flour and salt
ADD eggs, vanilla extract and vanilla bean scrapings to milk mixture. Whisk until well combined
ADD wet mixture to flour mixture and stir until dough starts to hold together and no visible dry areas
COVER with a tea towel and let rest in a warm area for 1/2 hr
IN MEDIUM BOWL, with electric hand mixer, beat butter for 2-3 minutes until light and creamy.
STIR in maple sugar flakes
WITH your hands, knead the butter mixture into the dough mixture just until combined.
COVER again with tea towel and lest rest another 1/2 hr

PREHEAT your waffle maker
SCOOP 1 heaping tablespoon of dough into each waffle area
BAKE according to waffle maker instructions




ENJOY!


Featured Here: Sweet Tooth Friday



Featured Here: FOODIE FRIDAY !



4 comments:

  1. What a fun weekend treat. Thanks for sharing and I hope you'll swing by Momtrends to post on our Friday Food Linky:

    http://bit.ly/hcY8lO

    ReplyDelete
  2. These waffles are perfect for a good Sunday breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The waffles look divine--thanks so much for the great recipe and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also seen Rachel Ray make this substituting crushed sugar cubes for the pearl sugar. I will be trying these, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Linda @ Lemon Drop