Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes for One

Why a recipe just for one today? Well, I ended up eating later than the rest of the family today and was on my own. I started contemplating what to eat "solo". I am sure many of us find ourselves in that situation from time to time and a bowl of cereal or a bagel just won't cut it. Why do we have to wait for a family meal or a breakfast out to enjoy pancakes? Wait no more!

I love pancakes but let's face it, most recipes bake up enough to feed a small country. I didn't want to start messing with reducing ingredients with the hopes of getting that "just right" consistency on a scaled down version of our family favorite Banana Sour Cream Pancakes.

Plus I was craving, and I mean CRAVING, blueberries. I had about 1 cup left over from the weekend and knew that would be a superb amount for pancakes. Now add that to pancakes for one and you have puffed up blueberry pillows !

The original recipe can be found at Healthy Food for Living. I did stray from the recipe a tad adding extra flavorings as I went along. For some reason though my batter did not look remotely like the batter photos on the source recipe blog site. It was far thinner. Next time I will add a bit more flour to get the desired consistency.

Top these guys off with pure maple syrup and you have a single serving delight on your hands! In fact, this recipe would feed 2 as it made 6 pancakes when I tested it out today. Add a side of turkey bacon and boom, you are in heaven!

So brew yourself a cuppa and let's get crackin' !

p.s. My apologies for the lack of photos.
It was early and my ability to stand steady enough
to take anything without blur was a challenge!


RECIPE:
*source recipe: Buttermilk Pancakes for One, Healthy Food for Living

WHAT YOU NEED


1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
tiny pinch of salt
1 egg white
1/2 cup low fat buttermilk, well-shaken
1/2 teaspoon orange blossom water
1 cup fresh blueberries, preferably organic
canola oil cooking spray
pure maple syrup, preferably grade B

MAKE IT


IN MEDIUM MIXING BOWL, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
IN LARGE MIXING BOWL, whisk together the egg white, buttermilk and orange blossom water.
STIR dry ingredients into the wet just until moistened.
FOLD blueberries into batter. Set aside to rest - 5 minutes should be sufficient.
HEAT a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Coat with cooking spray.
WHEN HOT, spoon the batter into the skillet by the 1/4 cupful.
WHEN BUBBLES APPEAR on the surface of the batter, (about 1-2 minutes), the pancakes are ready to be flipped.
FLIP pancakes and let cook for another minute or so, or until golden brown.
SERVE with maple syrup.

GREAT SERVED WITH A SIDE OF BACON OR HAM
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!

Linda @ Lemon Drop