Sticky Chocolate Cinnamon Buns

Glorious chocolate cinnamon buns! The secret to these decadent treats is the addition of chocolate chips and a layer of caramel sauce lurking underneath as they bake. During the baking process, some of the chocolate chips melt into the caramel sauce. When you flip the buns over after baking you have an incredible chocolate cinnamon bun glazed in a rich and creamy chocolate, caramel sauce.

I started out with my basic sticky bun dough recipe which is made in the bread machine. The cinnamon bun filling ingredients stay the same too but with the addition of 1 1/2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips. The biggest change though is the caramel sauce. Made easily in a saucepan and then poured into the baking pan, it serves as the sticky topping to these sweet and delicious buns. For a special dessert treat, top them with whipped cream and a cherry or shaved chocolate. Beyond good!





LET'S GET STARTED

RECIPE:

WHAT YOU NEED

A bread maker with a dough setting
9X13" baking dish

DOUGH INGREDIENTS

1 large egg at room temperature
1 1/4 cups warm water (80F or 27C)
3 1/2 teaspoons oil (plain vegetable oil works best. I used Becel)
1/3 cup granulated white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 1/2 cups white bread flour
2 teaspoons active dry yeast (I use the type marked for bread maker use)

THE FILLING

1/2 cup unsalted melted butter
1/4 cup fine white sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips

CARAMEL SAUCE

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon corn syrup
2 tablespoons cream or milk

MAKE IT

GREASE baking dish (I melt 2 tablespoons of butter for this and brush it all over the inside of the dish)

IN YOUR BREAD MAKER, ADD all dough ingredients in the exact order as listed above.
SELECT Dough course and press Start

WHILE DOUGH IS RISING, combine all caramel sauce ingredients in a small saucepan
BRING TO A BOIL over medium heat and allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes, stirring continously
POUR INTO prepared baking pan and ensure it covers all areas of the bottom of the pan

ONCE the dough course is complete, liberally sprinkle a work surface with flour
PLACE dough on work surface and roll out to a large rectangle (12" x 16")

Filling Ingredients: BRUSH melted butter on dough leaving 1/2 " edge on all sides
COMBINE sugars and cinnamon together in a bowl, sprinkle all over buttered area
TOP with chocolate chips
STARTING with longest side, ROLL up dough tightly to form a log
WITH SHARP KNIFE, cut rolls in 1 1/2" slices
PLACE rolls in baking dish over caramel sauce
COVER with a clean tea towel and let rise in a warm area for 30 minutes
PREHEAT oven to 350F
REMOVE towel and BAKE in oven for 25 minutes.

ALLOW buns to rest in baking dish at room temperature on cooling rack for 5 minutes
INVERT buns onto a plate

DIG IN !





Also seen here:













Button

14 comments:

  1. You had me at chocolatey caramel sauce. Nice twist on the standard cinnamon rolls. Your picture does make me hungry-Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, chocolate in cinnamon rolls. This is genius. I want this for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pure torture. As if the buns weren't bad enough, you had to throw in chocolate! Thanks for linking to Fat Camp Friday, enjoy your weekend and see you next time! http://bit.ly/mTxy7l

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look ridiculously good!!

    Ellen

    http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, please! Chocolate AND caramel on a cinnamon roll? Can't pass that up! I wanted to let you know about my cookbook giveaway that is going on right now until July 16th. Stop on by to enter! Hope you are having a great week :)

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Insane! If I showed these to my husband he'd want me to bake them right away. So maybe I'll surprise him with them one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband is a sucker for cinnamon buns, and these will not last 5 minutes in front of him. Thanks for the recipe, I think I will try to make some for him :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cinnamon (or chocolate) and carbohydrate is always a good option! I'll have to make these very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chocolate and cinnamon together has to taste great! Your cinnamon buns looks great. Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I already love sticky buns... but add chocolate and I'm in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These remind me of my childhood. My mom did something fairly similar, except she replaced the cinnamon with unsweetened cocoa powder (cocoa sugar instead of cinnamon sugar). Mmmm...

    Thanks for sharing on Sweet as Sugar Cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to try these! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sticky buns with chocolate and cinnamon! Hope you made a triple batch :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Made these this morning... Amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Linda @ Lemon Drop