Butterscotch Bars

Super sweet, super sticky, super delish ! This is another great recipe from Anna Olson's cookbook Sugar and it lets you play with bubbling sugar . Now don't let that scare you off. Boiling sugar doesn't need to be scary. Just take your time, keep stirring, don't stick your face into the pot to get a closer look and you will be fine!

This recipe reminds me of an old-fashioned bar I used to see at church bake sales when I was a kid. It has a soft, blondie-like crust and is loaded with creamy butterscotch, nuts, coconut and chocolate chips. What's not to like?

But as already warned, these are super sweet so a little square goes a long way. The great thing is that these can stay at room temperature covered in cling wrap for a couple of weeks so no rush to eat them all in one day (even though you may be tempted to do so).

As with most bars you bake the crust first then add the filling. Back in the oven for a final bake and you are done. So if you are ready, let's get bar-baking !

RECIPE:
*source recipe: Butterscotch Bars, Sugar by Anna Olson

WHAT YOU NEED

BASE

1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

BUTTERSCOTCH

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup golden corn syrup
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup walnut pieces
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract


MAKE IT

PREHEAT oven to 350F
GREASE and line bottom of an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper.
IN A BOWL, cream butter and sugars together.
ADD eggs and vanilla and beat until fluffy.
IN SEPARATE BOWL, combine flour, baking soda and salt.
ADD to butter mixture and stir until evenly blended.
SPREAD batter into a prepared pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until an even golden brown. SET aside to cool.

IN MEDIUM SAUCEPAN, melt butter over medium heat.
STIR in sugars, corn syrup, water and salt and increase heat to medium-high.
WHEN MIXTURE BOILS, stir in walnut pieces and coconut.
SIMMER for 7 minutes, stirring often (mixture will become thick and darker in colour).
REMOVE from heat and stir in cream and vanilla (watch for steam).
POUR butterscotch over base and sprinkle chocolate chips.
BAKE for 13 to 16 minutes, until bubbling around the edges.
LET cool before cutting into squares or bars.
DO NOT refrigerate.

Butterscotch Bars will keep up to 3 weeks in an airtight container



Also seen here:












Button

Ladybird Ln


8 comments:

  1. I have saved this recipe, I have a lot of bar recipes but none have a butterscotch flavor. I will need to make these when it gets a little cooler outside. If they taste even half as good as they look I will be happy-yum!
    flourtrader.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look super good..... and they run on the sweet side I'm sure my son would eat them and think they were perfect the more sugar the merrier lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my.....these call to me. I've been craving butterscotch fiercely lately. Definitely on my must make list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Printing this out now! Looks amazingly delicious! Buzzed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so great! I love butterscotch! Can't wait to try them! I saw them on Fat Camp Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These do look super sweet, yet irresistable! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super sticky equals super delicious! I love all of the ingredients in here so I know these are great! Thanks for sharing on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If a recipe has Butterscotch in the title, I am there. I will be making these. I am coming over from Sweets for a Saturday. Thanks for posting a great recipe. I will be back to check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Linda @ Lemon Drop