Chewy Gingerbread Cookies

Moist and chewy gingerbread cookies spiced with ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. I love these cookies anytime of the year. These are a very nice change from the children's standard chocolate chip cookies and are a cinch to make.

They are especially nice with a lemon frosting. Or feel free to add butterscotch chips to the batter for added depth of flavor!

For dessert these are wonderful as ice cream sandwiches. Just dollop a scoop of vanilla ice cream on bottom of one cookie and sandwich together with another. Roll ice cream sides in chopped nuts for an added crunch!

RECIPE:

WHAT YOU NEED

1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 large egg yolk at room temperature
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
pinch of salt

MAKE IT

PREHEAT oven to 350F
LINE two cookie sheets with parchment paper
IN LARGE BOWL, CREAM butter, sugar, molasses and egg yolk with electric hand mixer on medium speed 2 minutes
SIFT in remaining dry ingredients
BLEND until combined and starting to clump together
SHAPE into 2 inch balls
PLACE ball on cookie sheet and press down with bottom of a glass to 1/2 " thickness
BAKE 11 minutes
TRANSFER cookies to cooling rack and allow to cool to room temperature before eating.



ENJOY !


Featured Here: FOODIE FRIDAY !






7 comments:

  1. I can't really believe it-but I can actually smell these right now-I'm looking in my kitchen-because they must have come out of my oven-but I know I didn't cook them-........I don't have oven privileges in my home-my husband and girls say I'm that bad a cook??!~~they do it all!! mmmmmmyummmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And keep in mind - these are nut-free. Nutmeg is NOT considered a nut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, how wonderful! I'm a cookie gal so these are right up my alley!
    You have a very lovely blog!

    xx,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to you both for your great comments. Glad you are enjoying the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tasted gingerbread cookies, but they seem like a real classic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are one of my favorite Christmas cookies. So soft and chewy.

    I'd like to invite you to share this recipe with my linky, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there.
    http://alli-n-son.com/2011/03/31/toffee-snickerdoodle-cookies/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried your recipe, and it is excellent! Thanks because I tried many chewy ginger recipes but they are either too runny and don't hold shape in baking, or are too stiff solid. This recipe is just right. The cookies are soft chewy but crispy on the outside and hold up well when baking. They don't run or melt into a flat sheet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Linda @ Lemon Drop