Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes

These are a feast for the eyes as well as the tummy. I started off with a simple chocolate cake recipe, added chopped maraschino cherries, dark chocolate and some espresso powder to really bring out the chocolate flavor. I topped them off with a cherry infused Buttercream icing and finally, a maraschino cherry hand-dipped in dark chocolate. Who could ask for anything more?!

But the reason I decided on this blend of flavors is because my hubby is die-hard
Lowney Chocolate Cherry fanatic. I had thought about making the chocolate candy itself
but then my mind drifted to cupcake possibilities. Aren't you all glad it did?


LET'S GET STARTED

For the cupcake batter, I opted for a fail-safe chocolate cake recipe
I have used time and time again. It yields a rich and fluffy cupcake.
I did tweak the original recipe.

Original recipe (I adapted it below) can be found at Joy of Baking

RECIPE

WHAT YOU NEED

CUPCAKES

1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all purpose flour
1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar
1/4 cup (25 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder, (not Dutch-processed), sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup (75 grams) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup (240 ml) warm water
1 tablespoon lemon juice (or vinegar)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract extract
1/2 cup dark chocolate, chopped
10 maraschino cherries, drained and diced


ICING

1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
2 cups sifted icing sugar
1 tablespoon maraschino cherry juice
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 - 2 drops cherry oil (more potent than cherry extract)


CHERRIES ON TOP

1 dozen maraschino cherries with stems, drained and left to rest on paper towel for 1/2 hr
1 cup dark chocolate candy melts


MAKE IT

CUPCAKES

PREHEAT oven to 350F
LINE muffin tins with paper liners
SPRAY paper liners with cooking spray - this is ESSENTIAL because this batter likes to stick!
SIFT together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, espresso powder and salt.
ADD the melted butter, water, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
WITH A FORK, mix all the ingredients together until well blended.
FOLD in chocolate and cherries
FILL MUFFIN LINERS 3/4 full. I prefer to use an ice cream scoop when measuring the batter so each cupcake is the same.
BAKE in preheated oven for about 23-25 minutes, or until the cupcakes spring back when lightly pressed and a toothpick inserted in the center of them comes out clean.
REMOVE from oven and place on a wire rack to cool.

ICING

WITH ELECTRIC HAND MIXER, whip butter medium speed 1-2 minutes
ADD sifted icing sugar and mix 1-2 minutes, medium speed
ADD juice, cream and oil.
BLEND until well combined
PIPE onto cooled cupcakes. I used a Wilton 1M SWIRL tip for the design in the photo

CHERRIES

MELT candy coating according to package directions
DIP cherries into coating so all the cherry is covered
PLACE coated cherries on wax paper lined baking sheet
LEAVE in refrigerator 15 minutes or until set
PRESS cherries into top of cupcakes so they sit securely in center of swirled icing

DIG IN !





Featured Here: Sweet Tooth Friday



Featured Here: FOODIE FRIDAY !






8 comments:

  1. I've really been thinking about this combination recently! Your presentation is gorgeous. I'm noting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is amazing and I love reading it! Just wanted to let you know I have given you the lovely blog award: http://theaddictedbaker.blogspot.com/2011/03/and-award-goes-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks to you all for your lovely comments and big hugs to you, Addicted Baker, for the lovely blog award - how great !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful!

    Thanks for stopping by and linking up with Sweet Tooth Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just came from Foodie Friday. I like making cupcakes and I don't feel compelled to eat them all at one sitting. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I will have to give this a try.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Joanne
    http://wineladycooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this fantastic recipe! I love anything (especially cupcakes) with a cherry on top! I featured you on my Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/CherryManMaraschinos), Twitter (https://twitter.com/CherryMan) and Pinterest (http://pinterest.com/cherrymanpins/)! Yum. :)

    - CherryMan
    www.cherryman.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

Linda @ Lemon Drop